Armed with your shopping list, you head to the grocery or drug store, intending to stock up on all the products your family needs to stay healthy. Everything is going great until you reach the aisle with the dental care products.
Feeling overwhelmed? We completely understand. So many products are out there competing for our attention and our money, it can be difficult to know what is useful and what is a gimmick.
We pay ample attention to preventive care at our Maryland Heights, MO dental office, and we strongly support your efforts to help your family have a healthy home hygiene routine! Our hygienist is always happy to provide advice – and even hands-on help when it comes to learning proper brushing techniques.
Keep these tips in mind as you shop for dental care products:
- Look for soft-bristled toothbrushes with medium-sized heads. A head that is too small will require additional brushing time to reach all the surfaces, and a large head will be uncomfortable and could even gag you.
- The style of the handle and the shape of the bristles are unimportant, so choose the style that feels most comfortable to you.
- If you have difficulty brushing or reduced dexterity, an electric-powered toothbrush could be a great choice.
- Pick a fluoridated toothpaste.
- Find a flavor you like.
- Consider any dental needs you may have. For instance, if you have sensitivity, choose a toothpaste with an added ingredient to help relieve the discomfort. A whitening toothpaste can increase sensitivity.
Mouthwash and Rinses
- Avoid mouthwash with alcohol. These products tend to dry out your mouth too much and can be dangerous if you have children in your home.
- Depending on your needs, you may want an antibacterial mouthwash, which can help control plaque and reduce the risk of periodontal (gum) disease.
- A rinse with fluoride is helpful if your local tap water isn’t fluoridated or you primarily drink bottled water. Fluoride helps strength teeth and prevent cavities.
- If you have been diagnosed with gum disease, we may recommend a prescription antimicrobial mouthwash to help bring your condition under control. Follow Dr. Burgdorf’s instructions when using this product.
For more information about products we recommend or to schedule your next cleaning, please call our Bridgeton, MO dental office at (314) 291-9000. We’re looking forward to seeing you soon!