How a Professional Cleaning Differs from Everyday Oral Habits
Finding a great dentist in your area is the first step towards great oral health, and this includes regular professional cleanings. You’ve probably heard that it’s important to visit the dentist for a professional teeth cleaning twice a year, but you may be wondering how a professional cleaning differs from your everyday, at-home cleanings.
Professional teeth cleanings help to prevent gum disease, tooth loss, and other serious conditions that cannot be prevented by at home care alone. Your oral health greatly impacts your overall health, so this process is vital towards disease prevention in your entire body!
What to Expect at Your Teeth Cleaning
Professional teeth cleanings remove the plaque and tartar that build up in our mouths just from our daily eating habits. While teeth cleanings can vary based on any conditions that you may have, a traditional cleaning should be fairly simple. Here’s what you can expect:
- Health history: Typically you’ll begin your cleaning or exam by going over your health history just to make sure everything is looking normal.
- Tartar removal: Your hygienist will first begin to remove any tartar buildup on your teeth. This can be done manually, or with tools depending on your specific needs.
- Teeth cleaning: The main part of a regular cleaning should simply be the process of cleaning each individual tooth in your mouth manually. Your hygienist may point out some problem areas and recommend that you change your at home habits during this portion of the cleaning.
- Education: Most hygienists will take some time to review some oral hygiene habits that you may want to perfect at the end of your cleaning, and possibly visually show you some ways that you can improve your habits.
- Dental exam: Typically your dentist will come in and examine your teeth at this point for any cavities or other issues that need to be treated. Your dentist will then recommend the best course of action for treatment.
This process can vary based on whether or not you have gum disease, or how long it’s been since you’ve visited the dentist for a cleaning.
Your Dentist in Maryland Heights
Regular professional teeth cleanings are vital towards gaining better oral health, and also to keeping the rest of your body healthy! If you have any questions about what to expect at your cleaning, or if you’d like to schedule an appointment, give us a call today for more information on getting started!